Do you need a new warehouse floor? The telltale signs!
For a big number of businesses the warehouse floor is the main hub of the business and sees a lot of action and activity, wear and tear is one the main abuses a warehouse floor goes through.
Heavy goods, Machinery, Fleets, Forklifts and Pallet Trucks are everyday occurrences and a warehouse floor needs to be able to withstand and cope each day with heavy loads, whilst remaining safe for employees, contractors, visitors etc.
Things that are telltale signs which you would expect to see if you require a new warehouse floor installation are cracks, indentations in the floor due to heavy loads being manoeuvred in the warehouse, deep scratches and poor markings. These issues are ignored until it is too late and the damage is permanent! We at PSR have seen warehouse floors which have encountered larger issues as the floor has not been looked after correctly which result in higher costs, more downtime for your workforce which carries its own cost and also the wellbeing of your employees.
Instead of being reactive to maintenance, be proactive, be ahead of the issues and check for these signs and ask yourself these questions below:
- Your warehouse floor - was your flooring installed pre Workplace Regulations 1992, One thing to note, is your warehouse floor still compliant? If the answer is no then you will have to replace that flooring to be compliant!
- Is the Warehouse Floor Flat? Heavy loads, constant weight and traffic over long periods of time could well mean your Warehouse Flooring is no longer flat and level! Uneven flooring can cause you so many issues - even with storing goods in uneven racking, if you do find these issues then you must seriously consider investing in a new warehouse floor.
- What type of flooring do you have? What are the businesses requirements for the particular floor you need? Getting this correct from the get-go is essential and can save you funds in the long run as a business. For example, offering a slip-free surface on walkways which will reduce the risk of future accidents in the workplace, so if your whole warehouse flooring is polished in its finish, it may be the right moment to look for alternative flooring.
- Past Repairs to existing flooring- what standard of work has been done prior? It becomes easy for companies to do ‘small’ or ‘temporary’ repair work like ‘patching up cracks’ or ‘chips’ to the existing flooring. Unfortunately, as we all know, once the flooring is cracked it will adversely affect your staff and MHE. Avoid patchwork jobs as this will eventually compound your problem. Sort the problem entirely and effectively straight away for the best ROI.
- Is the warehouse flooring fit for purpose? Was the original flooring for your warehouse supplementing light duties, no heavy goods and minimal use for forklifts for example, but has now changed? Resulting in heavier loads, more frequent action? You probably need to look at the safety of the flooring in place due to the additional weight being available etc.
- Will your warehouse flooring still withstand impact? Over the course of time, surfaces that are in place will, of course, endure many impacts and over time will start to show signs of abuse. Cracks will appear and the surface will naturally wear out. If you are constantly paying for small repairs and patch-ups become more frequent, then this will eat into available funds. You should look at investing in a new modern industrial floor solution
- How does your warehouse look? First impressions are key in business, no matter what the industry. Is your Warehouse showcasing to clients that you are a business that is successful and cares about your workers? Are things like chips, cracks etc visible? If so, seriously think about getting in touch for a survey.
- PSR Industrial Flooring has an in-house specialist team who can assist in giving specialist advice on your current warehouse flooring needs. Feel free to Contact Us.